N.B. search says, "Not found" when groups are on newsserver

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

N.B. search says, "Not found" when groups are on newsserver

Postby Auto Rocket » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:56 pm

1. I am a complete "newbie" to news readers and the Use Net but I don't know how to configure the Search function evidently. Here is why.
2. My News Server shows a listing of all the groups they provide.
3. I know the groups are on their list but when I try to find them, News Bin Pro 6.34 comes back with a "not found" message.
4. Other UseNet services even show thumbnails of these groups so I know they are live so what's up?
5. I have the search function set on the "Internet" and the subject group set to "all lists".
6. I can get a very few of the alt.binaries that I am searching for but the vast majority show "not found".
Help!
Auto Rocket
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/10/12

Re: N.B. search says, "Not found" when groups are on newsser

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm not clear what you're doing. First thing I'd do is start Newsbin, open the "Add Groups" window and then click "Download Groups List from Server" button.

Then close the window. You should see activity in the download list. When it's done, re-open the Add Groups" window and you should now have a complete list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Auto Rocket » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Quade, thanks for the help. I added six groups from the "Add Groups" but in Version 6.34, I'm not finding a "download Groups from Server" button anywhere.??
Sorry for the thick skull here but don't want to further screw up NewsBin's initial configuration.
I did find a "download the latest group updates button which is a down arrow with a horiz. line under it but when I click on that, nothing happens on screen.
Many thanks,
Auto Rocket
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/10/12

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Here's the process.

1 - Add your news server.

2 - Go into the add groups windows and download the group list from there. The button is there. I just looked at it.

3 - After downloading the groups list, add some group. You seem to have already done this.

4 - Update button should have worked. With the download list visible, right click a group and select "Download all Headers". You should see an entry get added to the download list, something download and then it'll eventually leave the list.

If you can't get this far, hit the pause button on the main toolbar and repeat. #4. An entry should get added to the download list and stay there. If not, it suggests you haven't added a server.

Of the 100,000 or so groups out there, 1500-2000 have worthwhile content. The rest are text only or spam straps.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support