Resume of partial download bug? and more bizarreness.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Resume of partial download bug? and more bizarreness.

Postby Whirligig » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:06 pm

The new Newsbin 6.31 1858 fixes the lost partial download bug! hurrah. However I've found a couple of more weird behaviours that might be bugs? When you resume a download the previously downloaded part of the data shows up in grey and the newly downloaded data shows up as yellow (in the current progress column), so far so good. However the Size column shows the data downloaded during that session against the total size of the file, instead of the total amount of data downloaded against total size.

eg. 100meg rar.

Download 50meg in first session. Size indicates 50meg of 100 downloaded.

Restart newsbin

Download resumes of 100meg rar, size shows as 0 of 100 meg. After say 10megs has been downloaded, size indicates 10meg/100meg instead of the more appropriate 60meg/100meg.

Perhaps this is on purpose but it seems strange and confusing to me. Also, if you download file partially in the download list and then move the download to the wish list, size indicates the file has 0 size, is the data then lost? Also is a wish listed item has already been partially downloaded and then moved back to the wish list and then is redownloaded again, the data downloaded appears to be missing and then newsbin will fail the download due to duplicates. Amusingly if you then try to redownload it from the failed downloads bypassing the filters, it has no partial data saved and starts from the beginning.

Now this might all be because I'm not using newbins as designed :P but it's certainly behaviour that seems strange to me.
Whirligig
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/17/12

Re: Resume of partial download bug? and more bizarreness.

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I added a single 4 GB file to the download list. Then let 500 of it download, then restarted. It's reporting 500 megs on startup and continued to download. Then I restarted again and it started up at 1 GB and counting.

Sounds to me like it's re-downloading everything for you.

I wonder if you're talking about set combined set of files?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Whirligig » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Ok I've retested and now it's working correctly :D , checking and not downloading the blocks it already has.

However it's still reporting the data downloaded during the current session in the size column, rather than total amount of data downloaded for that file. I have included a screenshot!
https://imgur.com/3kjpz
As you can see, the file is over 50% completed, however the size column only displays the data downloaded in the current session, highlighted in yellow.
Whirligig
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/17/12

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:08 pm

I tried to reproduce that but, couldn't. I'll have to try again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby keep » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:20 am

edit : trying to see if the problem come from me or the program
Last edited by keep on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
keep
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/11/09

Postby itimpi » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:47 am

Normally this means something like the downloads.db3 or autopar2.db3 file has been damaged in some way. You can always delete them when Newsbin is not running and new good ones will be created. Note that the download list will be lost if you delete these files so pick the right moment to do it.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby keep » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:30 pm

I have the same bug as Whirligig (reporting the data downloaded during the current session in the size column, rather than total amount of data downloaded for that file)

Also is that normal when you do a fresh install (previous directory and cfg files all removed), and you go to Options and click on Default button it replace values by new ones while it's already on default ?

For recent versions I tried, if I launch many times Newsbin with a set of files, eventually it will re-download FULLY _yEnc.nb2 files or Par it already downloaded but this problem is really random
keep
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:38 pm

It always re-downloads the small par file. There sort a lower limit in Usenet. You can't download less than a single post and the smallest par is always one post so, I figure since it's downloading anyway, I'll use it. It also resets Autopar is the DB got deleted in between runs.

I was unable to re-produce the size thing. I tried a couple times. Not sure why you see it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby keep » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:56 am

thanks for your answer

when it does, it re download all par files not just one and same for *._yEnc.nb2 but it's a really random problem (most of time it works ok) and I got different results with differents versions. It seems to appear if I launch Newsbin many times downloading big multi part rar. Somehow DB seems to corrupt or something.. I don't know why.

I'm aware the problem might be on my end
keep
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support